Saturday, September 17, 2011

Asian Rural Insitute, アジア学院

After five days training in Tokyo, came to Asian Rural Institute. It is an agriculture training center which accepts the people from developping coutries.It is Christian NGO and with donation the students can afford their lives in Japan, I heard. I am here to learn how people are working in the field. In Malawi, I am doing something like counselling in HIV poitive people community and most of them are farmers. In order to understand their lives and work, I thought it would be better to see how people are coping with farming.

It is in Tochigi prefecture, 2 and half hours from Tokyo area by blue train. It is in the rural area so we can enjoy the beautiful scenery with natures and rice field (which is becoming yellow by now). Around the main bulding, there are some vegetable and rice fields. And they are also having a cow, chickens, and pigs. Around 15 students are here from different countires like Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Nepal, Haiti, etc. They came in Apr and will leave at the end of Nov. During that time, they learn the way of efficient organic farming. We call them 'participants' here.


What I am doing is to join a group of participants and follow their advice and work. Every morning from 7:00 to 8:00, and every evening from 17:00 to 18:00. Apart from that, I really do not know what we are doing coz it has been holiday since yesterday. Since I came here, I have been weeding and weeding...As it is already in Sep, the weather is still so humid and hot that we are sweating a lot. My t-shirt smells terribly bad every day which makes me feel disgusting.
Honestly I am getting sick of weeding, but finally I did new thing this morning! In the greenhouse of cabbages, I sprayed 'bamboo vineger' to prevent the green worms! I have to ask my group leader , the Indian guy Mr. S how he can make it! Then maybe I can take advantage of it in Malawi?


I have shared my room with one American girl, 'N', 22 years old who majored in interior designing. She will work here as volunteer for a year since last Thursday. Her church sends someone to ARI every year. Anytime anywhere, connections are very important. She is such a friendly and cute girl! Hopefully I am enjoying the time with her.


This evening, I will go to chicken house and how people are taking care of chickens!!
Every day new thing come to me and it makes me happy happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment