Monday, May 23, 2011

The 48th Annual Meeting of Association for African Studies

From 20th May night to 22nd evening, attended annual academic conference, Japan Association for African Study, surprisingly in Hirosaki University in Aomori Prefecture.

On 20th in the afternoon, was just net surfing and founf out that on big meeting was going to be held here in Aomori, on Facebook of my ex-boss in Yotsuya office.
What a surprise! One hour after that, I had already left the house to the station.

There were more than 100 of presentations regarding Africa in almost all fields.

http://www.tutaonana-hirosaki.com/english.html


Followings are my favorite researches.

1.Women's Livelihood Strategies in Northern Nigeria
by Ms. Kiyomi Kaida

It helped coz I will work to collaborate with many women for side income in Malawi.

2. A Preliminary Report on 'Japanese' Internees Detained in the Gold Coast during World War 2
by Mr. Yasuo Mizobe

Three Japanese Seamen were detained!
It is really interesting to see the record that the government had argument about how to treat those Japanese guys following Hague Convention.
Ex) what kind of food they used to eat and how much the government could affordfor their daily meal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Conventions_%281899_and_1907%29
My ex colleagues should be really careful when they travel over the countries in any dispute!

3. Sending Remittance through Mobile Phone, the socioeconomic relationships between Somali Protracted Refugees and Host Communities in Kenya
by Mr. Naoki Naito

How strong the people there are to survive! With money remittance, they start the business, laying in daily necessities, even in refugee camp!!


4.Payment of Murder Compensation among the Acholi in Northern Uganda,
by Ms. Kawaguchi Hiroko

Had been interested in how people would cope with after the worst...



Apart from 4 mentioned above, so many attractive researches!
More than two days, I really enjoyed the conference, being stimulated!!!
Because in my university there was no professor and class specialized in Africa.
And it helped me to update my brain as I was far from African field for four years with my ex job.


Truely grateful to my boss of Yotsuya for the info of the meeting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment