Thursday, March 8, 2012

What is ur dream?


Career Talk is one of my activities. My predecessor used to assist the radio program of it with the other youth activity volunteer. They invited some people who has different jobs, like nurse, police officers, bank accountants, etc. The purpose is to diversify kinds' view of their future. Through this program, kids in elementary schools should be able to know more kinds of works.
In the program for 30 minutes, they talk not only about the details but also about how they obtained those jobs and about what they like with those jobs, etc.
I heard they had some problems with local radio company, so it must be quite difficult to continue the radio program, but we can think of other ways. Maybe we invite some guest speakers to the schools. Or we can take kids to different kinds of workplace in town?
I will work out this project with my batch mate, Taka. But at this moment, we are just struggling to get used to the life in Mzimba. So we will start a little bit later.
This girl is Christina, 11 years old, who lives with my landlady, mama. She is from Southern part of Malawi and is staying in Mzimba for schooling. I heard her parents cannot afford the school fee and mama is taking care of her. In order to refer to my project, I asked her what was her dream.
This is also because simply I was interested in what 11 years old girl is thinks.

`I want to be pilot.'
After I asked her, she was thinking for one mitute and said with clumy English.
It is quite an unexected answer for me. Mzimba is just a rural town and I did not think people have many options with their jobs. Many people cannot finish even primary school and do small business, like selling vegetables or credit of mobile phone within the town. Otherwise they have to leave their town , seeking more chances. So I was glad that I could hear the positive answer.
I asked the reason and she said,
`Because...I want to go to America, South Africa, UK.'
This is the answer of Malawian girl in rural town. We can see those countries are cool for Malawian kids. I also asked the details of why she chose those countries but she could not answer in Enlgish and my Chitumbka, local language, is too bad to understand her.

After this conversation, I tried to recall my future dream when I was 11 years old. But I could not.
I only remember I was forced to study very hard to get good scores. That's all. Or maybe I have become too old to remember old memories, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment