Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Death in Africa, on 29th Nov

Today in the afternoon class, we had a lecture by two old men who lost their children due to a traffic accident when they were on duty 27 years ago.

They told us how sad and painful the experience was. Immediately after they heard the sad news, they were taken to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the passports were issued on the same day for the families,despite the fact that it takes at least three weeks to get normally. Then the dead bodies were burned in the car repair shop, instead of a crematorium.

It must be really painful for them. I can imagine it because our family had the same experience with my uncle who died due to a plane crash in Nairobi. My grandparents went to Kenya immediately after he died and had the dead body burned Indian style because they could find only Indian Buddhist priest there. Not to mention all the family were badly depressed for a long time.

I was thinking about that memory all the time during the speech. My heart was just filled with complicated feelings then. I was very sad to remember that time. But thanks to my uncle's death, my family started to show concern for the international cooperation with Africa, and I'm here as a candidate of JOCV now.

Anyway, it won't be possible that two people die in Africa in one family. But I guess I need to be really careful to stay healthy and not to hurt myself and die, in order not to make my family and friends feel sad during the two years in Malawi.

No comments:

Post a Comment