Monday, January 30, 2012

Country tour may be postponed??

This afternoon JICA staff called one of the batch mates to inform to stay at the lodge tomorrow until they confirm what is happening.
We were supposed to leave the lodge for our office in each town by bus. But they heard one rumor. The police will come to the bus depot to turm them away from there. If it happened, for sure they would get really agry and same kind of riot will occure like two weeks ago when women's skirt and trousers were stripped in public. So we need to wait for the confirmed information from JICA.

It is OK to stay in the lodge coz there are so many things to do like studying accounting or Tumbka language and I can live a full life here for a while. But the problem is that the situation is getting worse regarding economy. The slump of the tobacco price which is main product in Malawi and reduction of international aid. I heard that the Malawian government banished one English diplomat who criticized their policy of gay people and that's the reason of big reduction to blame it. Due to two reasons, Malawian are suffering from the shortage of foreign currency with the slump of its national currency Malawi kwacha.
Now commodity prices are getting high and high. For example, one egg was 25 kwacha when my predecessor was here but now it's 40 or 50 kwacha. And the fuel crisis is always serious. I can often see such a long line of cars from the petrol stations. In Malawi, they depend on the imports so much that the influence of the slump of Malawi kwacha is really big.

Now it's reasonable that they want to complain about their dissatisfaction of civil servants and the government. I feel so sorry with them as the I cannot see the prompt improvement by the them. I hope the social security won't be worse than now.

2 comments:

  1. I believe tobacco on the earth has to switch to other crops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi uncle Yoshiyuki, I thinks so too, but I don't thinks this country is doing the prompt action for the countermeasure. I really believe it would be bad if only tobacco as the main product....

    ReplyDelete